2018. April 26.
Back

Visit of Budapest with guide in english (Buda side)

During this tour with guide in Budapest, we cross the river Danube by the Chain Bridge of Budapest, having a nice view to the Castle and with the Funicular or public transport we arrive to the Castle Hill. We will realize a walking tour in the King Mathias’ Fountain, Fisherman’s Bastion and an insight visit in the Church Mathias of Budapest

According to the duration of the tour we have an opportunity to discover the Main Street, the St. Ana Church, the Gellert thermal bath as well. We return to Pest side crossing the Margaret bridge and we finish the sight-seeing in the middle of the city. 

Castle Hill of Budapest with guide

The Castle District on Castle Hill is the premier destination for visitors and contains many of Budapests most important monuments and museums, not to mention grand views of Pest across the snaking Danube. The walled area consists of two distinct parts: the Old Town where commoners lived in the Middle Ages, and the Royal Palace. Stroll around the medieval streets of the Old Town and and take in the odd museum. A brief tour in one of the horse-drawn hackney cabs is worthwhile for the leg weary. The Old Town is filled with attractively painted houses, decorative churches and the famous Fishermens Bastion. The latter was built as a viewing platform in 1905, named after the guild of fishermen responsible for defending this stretch of wall in the Middle Ages. It has commanding views over the city, and is dominated by seven gleaming turrets (representing the seven Magyar tribes who entered the Carpathian Basin in the 9th century) and a statue of St Stephen on horseback. Immediately south of the Old Town is the Royal Palace of Budapest.

Royal Palace of Budapest with guide

The Royal Palace has been burned, bombed, razed, rebuilt and redesigned at least half a dozen times over the past seven centuries. What you see today clinging to the southern end of Castle Hill is an 18th- and early 20th-century amalgam reconstructed after the last war. It houses, among other things, the impressive Hungarian National Gallery (which has a huge section devoted to Hungarian art), the Széchenyi National Library and the Budapest History Museum. Take a relaxing break in the palace gardens at the rear of the museum. Ferdinand Gate, under the conical Mace Tower, will bring you to a set of steps. These descend to a historic Turkish cemetery dating from the decisive Independence battle for Buda of 1686. To get to the Royal Palace, take the Sikló, a funicular built in 1870 (you can get there from Clark Ádám tér, or for the more energetic, walk up the Royal Steps or the wide staircase that goes to the southern end of the Royal Palace.

Matthias Church of Budapest with guide

Matthias Church is a Roman Catholic church located in Budapest, Hungary, in front of the Fishermans Bastion at the heart of Budas Castle District. According to church tradition, it was originally built in Romanesque style in 1015, although no archaeological remains exist. The current building was constructed in the florid late Gothic style in the second half of the 14th century and was extensively restored in the late 19th century. It was the second largest church of medieval Buda and the seventh largest church of medieval Hungarian Kingdom.

The first church on the site was founded by Saint Stephen, King of Hungary in 1015. This building was destroyed in 1241 by the Mongols; the current building was constructed in the latter half of the 13th century. Originally named after the Virgin Mary, taking names such as The Church of Mary and The Church of Our Lady, Matthias Church was named after King Matthias in the 19th Century, who ordered the transformation of its original southern tower.

The church was the scene of several coronations, including that of Charles IV in 1916 (the last Habsburg king). It was also the site for King Matthiass two weddings (the first to Catherine of Poděbrady and, after her death, to Beatrice of Naples). During the century and a half of Turkish occupation, the vast majority of its ecclesiastical treasures were shipped to Pressburg (present day Bratislava) and following the capture of Buda in 1541 the church became the citys main mosque. Ornate frescoes that previously adorned the walls of the building were whitewashed and interior furnishings stripped out.

The church was the venue for the coronation of the last two Hungarian Habsburg kings, Franz Joseph in 1867 and Charles IV in 1916. During World War II the church was badly damaged. Matthias Church was used as a camp by the Germans and Soviets in 1944-1945 during the Soviet occupation of Hungary. The church was largely renovated between 1950-1970 with funding from the Hungarian government. The bell tower was restored, along with renovation of interior paints and frescos. The five-manual organ, which had been destroyed during the war, was updated and sanctified in 1984.

The Fishermans Bastion of Budapest with guide

The Fishermans Bastion is a terrace in neb-gothic and new-romanesque style situated on the Buda bank of the Danube, on the Castle hill in Budapest, around Matthias Church. It was designed and built between 1895 and 1902 on the plans of Frigyes Schulek. Construction of the bastion destabilized the foundations of the neighboring 13th century Dominican Church which had to be pulled down. Between 1947–48, the son of Frigyes Schulek, János Schulek, conducted the other restoration project after its near destruction during World War II.

From the towers and the terrace a panoramic view exists of Danube, Margaret Island, Pest to the east and the Gellért Hill.  Its seven towers represent the seven Magyar tribes that settled in the Carpathian Basin in 896. The Bastion takes its name from the guild of fishermen that was responsible for defending this stretch of the city walls in the Middle Ages. It is a viewing terrace, with many stairs and walking paths.

A bronze statue of Stephen I of Hungary mounted on a horse, erected in 1906, can be seen between the Bastion and the Matthias Church. The pedestal was made by Alajos Stróbl, based on the plans of Frigyes Schulek, in Neo-Romanesque style, with episodes illustrating the Kings life.

Gellért Hill of Budapest with guide

Another hill, another climb: however the panoramic views of the Royal Palace, the Danube and its bridges are well worth the effort. At the top of Gellért Hill is the Citadella, a fortress of sorts, and the Independence Monument, Budapests unofficial symbol. With every hill climb comes the rewarding stroll down the other side, in this case to the pleasant Jubilee Park, an ideal spot for a picnic. Below Gellért Hill lies a gush of hot springs; not surprisingly, there are more public baths in the locale. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Ask for a quote